TRISTAN ABBA, Counselling Psychologist Registrar
Tristan Abba joined Early Start Australia following five years of private psychology practice on the Gold Coast. Prior to this, he enjoyed a diverse career supporting at-risk young people with complex needs in the community, counselling adolescents and men at a not-for profit substance abuse centre and working in the government and not-for-profit sector. Tristan holds a Master of Psychology (Counselling) which involved six years training at university.
Tristan particularly enjoys the process of simplifying psychotherapy into a solution-focussed, transparent process that is accessible to everyone. His approach to therapy is fluid, adopting skills from methods including Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and the trauma informed Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. These approaches are each uniquely recognised to help people improve their quality of life and create lasting change. Tristan’s therapeutic areas of interest include trauma recovery, personality adaptations (disorders), general mental wellbeing, and young people’s social-emotional development and their family relationship functioning. Tristan prides himself on his approachability. His values define both himself and his practice.
“There is no therapist mask, voice, or posture when I enter a consulting room. I am me and I believe this gives you the best chance to be you.”
Registered with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
Medicare provider through Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative
Working with Children Check
Master of Psychology (Counselling)
Bachelor of Psychology
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Intensive Practitioner Course – Professor Marsha Linehan (2017)
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Skills Training – Dr. Jennifer Sweeton (2019)
Mentalization Based Treatment – Anna Freud Digital Academy (2020)
Suicide and Self Harm Prevention Strategies – Qld Health (2020)
Areas of Interest:
Individual and Family Therapy for older children, adolescents, and parents:
- Personality difficulties that create tension or conflict in an individual’s close relationships
- Anxiety and depression
- Trauma recovery
- Anger, stress, and sleep difficulties
- Functional change in substance or addictive behaviours
- Adolescent and young adult social-emotional difficulties
- Family relationship conflicts
- Thousands of hours providing 1-1 therapy at a private clinic supporting young people and adults with diverse mental health concerns.
- Individual and group therapy with adolescents and adults at a Perth addictions centre.
- Facilitating a multi-agency collaborative and providing community-based psychosocial support to young people with complex needs on the Gold Coast.
- Therapy for children with an autism spectrum disorder in a private clinic.
- Consultant psychologist to an employee assistance provider to assist adults within large corporations experiencing anxiety, stress, or depression.