Dr DAVINIA SHANNAHAN, Psychologist
Dr Davinia Shannahan completed her Doctorate in Child and Educational Psychology in 2014 in the UK. Davinia worked in London as an Educational Psychologist supporting young people their families and educators in regard to a range of needs including mental health, challenging behaviour, autism, learning difficulties and multiple and profound disabilities. Davinia moved to Perth in 2018 and has worked in a not for profit association and private practice.
Davinia has considerable experience in working with children, adolescents their families and within the school system. Davinia is passionate about helping young people with their social and emotional wellbeing and those described as having challenging behaviours. Davinia works within a systemic paradigm and is interested in the interactional patterns and dynamics within relationships across multiple contexts. Davinia is a creative and playful practitioner and uses a range of therapeutic interventions that help young people and their families find new narratives and possibilities to the challenges they face. Davinia draws on a range of therapeutic approaches including narrative therapy and solution focused therapy. Davinia’s areas of interest include social and emotional well-being, supporting learning potential, family relationship functioning and autism.
Doctorate Child and Educational Psychology
Bachelor of Arts Law and Maths
Registered with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Medicare provider through Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative
Working with Children Check
Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (UK)
Areas of Interest:
Individual and family therapy for children, adolescents and parents:
- Child and adolescent social-emotional difficulties including anxiety, low self-esteem, and anger.
- Challenging behaviours.
- Family relationship functioning & conflicts.
Diagnostic assessments for children, adolescents and university students:
- Specific Learning Disorders (SLD), including dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia
- Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD)
- Intellectual Disability
- Intellectual Giftedness
- Diagnostic assessment for children and adolescents with a variety of neuro-developmental conditions in school aged populations.
- Provision of assessment based educational and behavioural management strategies to assist children and adolescents presenting with complex learning, attention, behavioural and emotional needs.
- Individual and group therapeutic interventions with children and adolescents in the school setting and specialist provisions relating to anxiety, resilience, self-esteem and mental health.
- Assessment, therapy and positive behaviour support for children and adults with an autism spectrum disorder in a not for profit organisation.
Davinia welcomes referrals from individual families, medical specialists, health professionals, and educators.